The Minomana® babywearing coat blog.
7 Reasons Moms Are Babywearing (From Supermodels To The Mom-Next-Door)
When my little girl was a few months old, she would only sleep in her sling. She needed the sense of familiarity that being so close to her mommy provided; to hear my heartbeat, to feel the warmth of my skin and to relax to the rhythmical movements of real life.
When wrapped against me, she would settle with the gentlest of rocking, a little swaying or even just a potter around the house. And so, in a plain brown wrap, she nestled into my chest. For us, this practice was simply a nameless necessity. Back then, I didn’t even know that babywearing was a “thing.”
Now, 5 years later and ahead of the arrival of my second baby, I have more than maternal intuition alone convincing me to continue along this well-trodden pathway of carrying our little ones. And I’m not alone, since the babywearing industry has more than quadrupled in that timeframe. Each and every month, more and more wraps, slings and carriers are launched into this competitive market, many of which selling out within minutes.
And far from simple block brown stretch fabric, the sheer luxury of materials and designs now available wouldn’t seem out of place splashed across the pages of Vogue. In fact, high-end slings have actually already graced those elusive pages, wrapped around the babies of supermodels… it seems that slings are just as much a fashion statement as they are a practical component of our parenting toolkits.
Source: @elite_amsterdam, Twitter
One thing is certain; babywearing fever has arrived. Yet there is so much more to this art form than beautiful fabrics alone.
Here are 7 of the top reasons that moms are wearing their babies, from supermodels to the mom-next-door… because the practice of babywearing is all-inclusive…
- Babies that are worn are happier. Evidence suggests that carrying our babies is directly correlated to decreased crying and fussing.
- Babywearing helps meet an infant’s physical needs. Scientists are linking the gentle movement that babies experience during babywearing to improvements in breathing, growth, physiological regulation and motor development. To wear our babies also encourages increased feeding frequency and heightened contentment.
- Babywearing helps meet a child’s emotional needs. Wearing our babies provides the comfort and security needed to help foster healthy attachment relationships.
- Babywearing is beautiful. It might sound clichéd, but it’s true. The sheer intricacy and detailing of the fabrics available, alongside the tenderness of a mother’s love as she carefully wraps her precious baby to her own miraculous body highlights a raw, nurturing kind of beauty that this world needs to see more of. Because motherhood and beauty should go hand in hand. Whether that’s the everyday ‘real life’ beauty that exists beneath burp cloths and maternity pants, or the ‘media-ready’ images of beauty that grace our screens and take our breath away…
“We are translating age-old traditions into a fashion and lifestyle statement…We believe that mothers can feel more confident if they are carrying their babies close and safe in a loving way and remain stylish while doing so.”
(Anna van den Bogert, via Artipoppe)
- Babywearing increases bonding. Babies that are involved in their caregiver’s activities are taking the role of passive observers. In this role, babies are able to snuggle into mom and focus on her familiar scent and heartbeat, or take note of the outside environment from a safe, secure and attached vantage point.
- Babywearing helps babies learn. Carrying our children increases the amount of time they spend in the state of quiet alertness. This is the behavioral state in which a baby is best able to interact with his or her environment and has even been referred to as the “optimal state of learning for a baby.”
- Babywearing gives us more freedom to explore. Trails that would leave a stroller stuck in the mud (literally) are more accessible to explore when baby is strapped safely to your back, or when little toddler legs get tired half way along the route.
My due date is fast approaching and with it, comes a million uncertainties. Yet one thing is clear in my mind. I will wear my son. I will wrap him in cloth and trust in this age-old practice that is now being supported by science, common sense and fashion. And while I may not be “Vogue-ready,” I’ll honor every beautiful extra inch and glistening tiger stripe as I carefully position my newborn against my body. Because whether they are worn during muddy hikes or through glamorous photo shoots, our babies only care about one thing: being close to mama.
You can find Mama Bean on Facebook.
This post originally appeared on Mama Bean Parenting.
What to do when you just can’t put your baby down https://t.co/U8yDhKVNCL #reflux #babywearing attachment motherhood pbloggers
Good morning world! Today, I am 7 weeks old! 👶🏻
We’re going for a walk later to take in the fresh air and see the ducks on the lake! It’s a bright, dry day and we’re making the most of it ☀️
What are your plans today?
#mumblogger #firsttimemum #babywearing #gentleparenting
Extend your coat around your baby bump (so no more cold bump!) and can also be used throughout babywearing for both mum and dad! #babywearing #thursdaythoughts #closeenoughtokiss #pregnancy #babybump
Using a carrier when a new baby joins your family can be invaluable and allow to you to carry on creating memories with the rest of the family.
What are your top tips for a smooth transition when welcoming a new baby?
#newbaby #newborn #babywearing #babycarrier
Incontri “informativi” speciali! ❤️
#babywearingitalia #babywearingconsultant #babywearing #consulentibabywearing #scuolaitalianadibabywearing https://t.co/wSXRGG0K9o
Want to give babywearing a go but don’t know where to start? Here are 3 really useful places you can go for help and advice https://t.co/eXOBMqzg9g #babywearing #wearallthebabies
A mom who understands the meaning of multitasking – in support of #babywearing and Baby Wearing Week! https://t.co/VY9WiIDhA4 @MedelaCan #babywearing
Love this💛 #babywearing https://t.co/f3GozdP28T
These responses to the limp dick @piersmorgan make my day sooooo much better. #RealMen #BabyWearing #StopToxicMasculinity #PiersHasATinyPenis
@piersmorgan That’s nothing! I used to carry my twins AND do chores around the house. The times they are a changin’. Get with it or get out of the way.
Want to know what’s special about Baby K’Tan? Click to read my review! #babycarrier #babywearing @BabyKtan https://t.co/f9CH27eGBx
Halloween costume idea: my baby & I dress up like Cardi B and this award!? (My 5 month old will likely be in a carrier on me!) #babywearing #halloweencostume
The name’s Bond; Father-Daughter Bond 👨👧😍❤️💪🏽
#bondwithtula #tulababycarriers #babytula #ftg #freetogrow #babywearing #menwearbabiestoo #stopjudging #masculine #narwhals… https://t.co/GSWoRGbKlD
Piers Morgan is an asshole but the babywearing dads in the comments give me so much life and faith on humanity ❤ #babywearing
Oh 007.. not you as well?!!! #papoose #emasculatedBond
Not all heroes wear capes 😂👏🏼 #HarryHill #babywearing
Harry Hill has a parting thought for Piers on the papoose debate. See you soon @piersmorgan 👋
@HarryHill | @susannareid100
Strength in numbers…I think our dads have the numbers in this one! #babywearing #citydads #Columbusdads
#wednesdayswithwarren are always fun-filled adventures. Reading his new book, having lots of #playtime, #babywearing while #momma runs errands, and, of course, TONS of #mommaandson… https://t.co/c8NdG3UcSu
@piersmorgan #babywearing is a great thing! This is the impact of your comments https://t.co/VLCTCfi4A1
Have you considered babywearing with your newborn?Here’s an interview with a seasoned babywearing mum full of useful tips&advice on how to get started with a sling and everything you need to know about #babywearing https://t.co/55xjC9TKfh
You’ll love your newfound freedom from #babywearing your #newborn. No need to wait for strollers or nylon #babycarriers. A #Cozizot #babysling let’s you bond & soothe while getting things done. Cozitot is there! https://t.co/Sck0mV8tK2
Our range offers something suitable for each stage of your “babywearing” journey with your little one.
Take a look at our handy guide to find the carrier that’s right for you and your lifestyle.
#babywearing #babycarrier #toddlercarrier #newborn #bamboo #wrapcarrier