The Minomana® babywearing coat blog.
7 Reasons Moms Are Babywearing (From Supermodels To The Mom-Next-Door)
When my little girl was a few months old, she would only sleep in her sling. She needed the sense of familiarity that being so close to her mommy provided; to hear my heartbeat, to feel the warmth of my skin and to relax to the rhythmical movements of real life.
When wrapped against me, she would settle with the gentlest of rocking, a little swaying or even just a potter around the house. And so, in a plain brown wrap, she nestled into my chest. For us, this practice was simply a nameless necessity. Back then, I didn’t even know that babywearing was a “thing.”
Now, 5 years later and ahead of the arrival of my second baby, I have more than maternal intuition alone convincing me to continue along this well-trodden pathway of carrying our little ones. And I’m not alone, since the babywearing industry has more than quadrupled in that timeframe. Each and every month, more and more wraps, slings and carriers are launched into this competitive market, many of which selling out within minutes.
And far from simple block brown stretch fabric, the sheer luxury of materials and designs now available wouldn’t seem out of place splashed across the pages of Vogue. In fact, high-end slings have actually already graced those elusive pages, wrapped around the babies of supermodels… it seems that slings are just as much a fashion statement as they are a practical component of our parenting toolkits.
Source: @elite_amsterdam, Twitter
One thing is certain; babywearing fever has arrived. Yet there is so much more to this art form than beautiful fabrics alone.
Here are 7 of the top reasons that moms are wearing their babies, from supermodels to the mom-next-door… because the practice of babywearing is all-inclusive…
- Babies that are worn are happier. Evidence suggests that carrying our babies is directly correlated to decreased crying and fussing.
- Babywearing helps meet an infant’s physical needs. Scientists are linking the gentle movement that babies experience during babywearing to improvements in breathing, growth, physiological regulation and motor development. To wear our babies also encourages increased feeding frequency and heightened contentment.
- Babywearing helps meet a child’s emotional needs. Wearing our babies provides the comfort and security needed to help foster healthy attachment relationships.
- Babywearing is beautiful. It might sound clichéd, but it’s true. The sheer intricacy and detailing of the fabrics available, alongside the tenderness of a mother’s love as she carefully wraps her precious baby to her own miraculous body highlights a raw, nurturing kind of beauty that this world needs to see more of. Because motherhood and beauty should go hand in hand. Whether that’s the everyday ‘real life’ beauty that exists beneath burp cloths and maternity pants, or the ‘media-ready’ images of beauty that grace our screens and take our breath away…
“We are translating age-old traditions into a fashion and lifestyle statement…We believe that mothers can feel more confident if they are carrying their babies close and safe in a loving way and remain stylish while doing so.”
(Anna van den Bogert, via Artipoppe)
- Babywearing increases bonding. Babies that are involved in their caregiver’s activities are taking the role of passive observers. In this role, babies are able to snuggle into mom and focus on her familiar scent and heartbeat, or take note of the outside environment from a safe, secure and attached vantage point.
- Babywearing helps babies learn. Carrying our children increases the amount of time they spend in the state of quiet alertness. This is the behavioral state in which a baby is best able to interact with his or her environment and has even been referred to as the “optimal state of learning for a baby.”
- Babywearing gives us more freedom to explore. Trails that would leave a stroller stuck in the mud (literally) are more accessible to explore when baby is strapped safely to your back, or when little toddler legs get tired half way along the route.
My due date is fast approaching and with it, comes a million uncertainties. Yet one thing is clear in my mind. I will wear my son. I will wrap him in cloth and trust in this age-old practice that is now being supported by science, common sense and fashion. And while I may not be “Vogue-ready,” I’ll honor every beautiful extra inch and glistening tiger stripe as I carefully position my newborn against my body. Because whether they are worn during muddy hikes or through glamorous photo shoots, our babies only care about one thing: being close to mama.
You can find Mama Bean on Facebook.
This post originally appeared on Mama Bean Parenting.
We’ve spotted our @izmi_baby bamboo wrap 😄.. #babywearing https://t.co/nPalC8pdwa
Mochila ajustable #minimahue hecha con fular #natibabywovens #dancingclosetome #porteo #babywearing #mochilaergonomica #minimahue10años #mochilaajustableminimahue https://t.co/sL7b4c0Dac
Un día te mueves con ellos gracias al #porteo o #babywearing y otro día te piden que les tomes una foto así, como firmando 😆 yo lo olvide pero verdad que los selfies de porteo o babywearing tienen un nombre especial ¿cuál era? O sigo soñando despiert… https://t.co/K2AQDNXIzh
Un día te mueves con ellos gracias al #porteo o #babywearing y otro día te piden que les tomes una foto así, como firmando 😆 yo lo olvide pero verdad que los selfies de porteo o babywearing tienen un nombre especial ¿cuál era? O sigo soñando despierta con hashtags 😉
Our new baby carrier arrived and I’m in love! So comfortable and bean is very happy to finally be able to go on my back! #boba #bobababycarrier #boba4g #carrybaby #babycarrying #babywearing #babywearingmama #sling… https://t.co/AaCW0BWakW
FOUND THIS! #BabyWearing #Slings Palm and Pond Ring Sling Large Multi Spots on Black https://t.co/LqsRHm5aGG
FOUND THIS! #BabyWearing #Slings Palm & Pond Mei Tai Baby carrier – Pastel Zigzag https://t.co/5bfgIeeUxk
FOUND THIS! #BabyWearing #Slings Palm & Pond Mei Tai Baby Sling – Grey White Design https://t.co/IUCYxEZsBB
Have you considered babywearing with your newborn?Here’s an interview with a seasoned babywearing mum full of useful tips&advice on how to get started with a sling and everything you need to know about #babywearing https://t.co/55xjC9TKfh
A snuggle by any other name would feel as sweet 🌷
#babysnuggles #mommyslittlegirl #thesearethedays #whysoserious #fussybaby #babywearingmama #babywearing #ottawababywearinggroup #littlefrogwrap #ringsling #thedemontignyadventures https://t.co/AOkI6ukz9G
Want to know what’s special about Baby K’Tan? Click to read my review! #babycarrier #babywearing @BabyKtan https://t.co/f9CH27eGBx
¿Eres asesora de porteo y quieres tener una #minimahue tester?
¡Pronto te diremos cómo puedes conseguirla a un precio especial! #porteo #babywearing #mochilaergonomica #minimahue10años #asesorasdeporteo https://t.co/1zyYHrP6Tx
Confused by #mobywrap? Me 2! I almost abandon #babywearing! Then I found @BabyKtan! Read my review! https://t.co/f9CH27eGBx
Not sure what kind of baby carrier is best? Start here!! #babywearing #wearallthebabies #parenting https://t.co/JFY5rE0KrF
The most affordable high quality #babycarrier #sling is the #Cozitot all-cloth, lightweight #babywrap. It’s what every #newmom or #newdad is looking for to bond while getting stuff done. #sahm #sahd #babywearing #babyshower https://t.co/veBHNWudx5
Chiropractors are big supporters of babywearing. We have both been babywearing Harlow since she was born. Our favorite carriers have been the Moby wrap and the Tula! 👶🏻
What are your favorite carriers? 🤗
#chiropractic #babywearing #baby #newmom #pittsburghmom #postpartum
Look at that smile! 🥰
CUDL™ is designed with every little detail in mind, so keeping them close is easy, comfortable and secure.
*CUDL shown in Caviar
#Nuna #Nuna_US #NunaCUDL #NunaCarrier #babywearing #carrythem #babywearinglove